Today, it is generally recognized that transitioning to young adulthood is a more daunting challenge than it has ever been, before. Thousands of magazine, newspaper and blog articles cite a plethora of reasons why this is occurring: The economy, the rising demand for education, competition, conflicting parental skills, the pressure to succeed and much more.
It is even more complicated for those who have the additional stress of trying to cope with a special condition: Anxiety, Depression and Learning Disabilities, for instance, or Asperger’s Syndrome, Bipolar Disorder, OCD or what is commonly called “Failure to Launch” to name just a few.
JCAHO-Accredited Optimum Performance Institute was one of the first to recognize and respond to this trend nearly a decade ago. Since then, we have grown to one of the foremost programs in the world helping men and women ages 17-28 from throughout the world transition into the real world while learning to cope with what has been holding them back in the past.
At OPI, young adults benefit from our highly individualized support whether they are transitioning here from home or another program, having difficulty completing high school, college or finding a career path. We help them commit to finding a sense of balance in their lives and their place as responsible members of society.
Expertise and Location
Robert F. Fischer, MD, well-known psychiatrist with more than 30 years of experience treating children and young adults, co-founded OPI as well as its:
- Roanne Program for young adults with Borderline Traits, Borderline Personality Disorder and co-occurring conditions and its
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP).
Dr. Fischer is joined by:
- Our highly experienced staff of psychiatrists, therapists and clinicians who engage participants individually and in groups utilizing therapies ranging from Cognitive Behavioral, Dialectical Behavior and Dynamic Psychotherapy augmented by yoga, meditation, improv groups, art therapy, etc. Each participant has his/her individual therapist/case manager.
- Our veteran staff in our Departments of Education, Career & Volunteer Services, Vocational and Extracurricular Services who are experts at taking advantage of everything our area has to offer in order to help young adults start having small successes so they can learn to set, persevere and reach larger, personal goals.
- Our team of knowledgeable life skills training coaches.
- Our competent Department of Addiction Counseling.
- Our advisory board of experts from throughout the U.S.
OPI is for young adults who want to live in a metropolitan environment. This is why we located 45-minutes northwest of Los Angeles in Woodland Hills, CA, a bustling community surrounded by shopping centers, restaurants and a multitude of colleges, universities, institutes and programs. Our small, intimate OPI community settled within this “real world’ in order to support participants while they learned to live, cope and take advantage of everything this area offers from all its ‘positives’ to all the complexities of an urban environment that eventually we all must learn to deal with.
OPI mirrors the best qualities of our contemporary world where people from diverse backgrounds with diverse issues, problems and points of view come together in pursuit of self discovery and intimacy with oneself and others within the OPI village and Los Angeles community. Here, they begin to recognize their own, tremendous gifts as well as the gifts others have and learn the value of patience, tolerance and compassion.